Fun Fact Friday is a meme hosted by Lettora at I’m Booked! If you’d like to join and do your own Fun Fact Friday, just ask! At I’m Booked! Every week we’ll give you five new, fun facts.
This week’s five facts:
1. No word rhymes with purple
2. At least half of the world’s population are bilingual or plurilingual, i.e. they speak two or more languages.
3. Many languages have 50,000 words or more, but individual speakers normally know and use only a fraction of the total vocabulary: in everyday conversation people use the same few hundred words.
4. 98% of reading is a listening task. Listening to a story and reading that same story will activate the exact same pathways in the brain. It's not where the sensory information comes from but, where it ends up in the brain. Our eyes act more like ears when we read.
5. The fastest bird is the peregrine falcon. It can fly at a speed of 168-217 miles per hour.